2009 PhD in life sciences, date of approved disputation: 05.03.2009 German Cancer Research Centre (DKFZ), University of Heidelberg, Germany, Department of Signal Transduction and Growth Control – Prof. Peter Angel (magna cum laude)
2005 Diploma/Master in biology Faculty of Biology and Medicine, University of Lausanne, Switzerland (summa cum laude)
Since 04/19 Group Leader (90% FTE) Department of Clinical and Molecular Medicine, Laboratory Center, The Faculty of Medicine – NTNU, Norway Research: Elucidating the role of cilia and fluid flow in brain development and function, characterization of zebrafish models of brain diseases in collaboration with clinicians.
Since 01/21 Associate Professor (10% FTE) Kavli Institute for Systems Neurosciences
01/15-03/19 Senior Researcher Yaksi Laboratory – Kavli Institute for Systems Neurosciences – The Faculty of Medicine – NTNU, Norway Research: Elucidating the role of cilia in brain development and function, generation and characterization of zebrafish models of brain diseases in collaboration with clinicians.
01/11-12/14 Postdoctoral fellow Laboratory of Membrane Trafficking – Prof. Wim Annaert – VIB – KU Leuven, Belgium Research: understanding factors contributing to Alzheimer’s disease in zebrafish and cell culture
12/09-12/10 Research fellow Laboratory of Prof. Randall T Peterson – Harvard Medical School – Boston, USA Research:Identification of novel small molecules regulating the development of egg and sperm in zebrafish
03/06-04/09 Doctoral thesis Department of Signal Transduction and Growth Control – Prof. Peter Angel – German Cancer Research Centre (DKFZ), Heidelberg, Germany Doctoral thesis: Positive and negative regulator Junb: impact on chromatin remodeling and stress response (magna cum laude)
05/05-11/05 Research assistant Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Lausanne, Switzerland
2004-2005 Diploma/Master thesis Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Lausanne, SwitzerlandSupervisor: Dr. Dario Diviani, Diploma thesis: Characterization of novel signaling proteins interacting with the AKAP-Lbc signaling complex (summa cum laude)
GRANTS, FELLOWSHIPS AND AWARDS (10NOK=1EURO)
2021-24 PI on Researcher Project, The Research Council of Norway (RCN, 12M NOK)
2021-24 PI on NTNU Enabling Technology PhD Fellowship (1 PhD student 4 years, ca 4.5M NOK)
2017-23 PI on NTNU Strategy Grant (1 PhD student, ca 3.5M NOK)
2017-21 Collaborator on research grant from the Liaison Committee for education, research and innovation in Central Norway with Profs E Yaksi and E Brodtkorb (8M NOK)
2018 Travel Grant from EuFishBioMed to attend the 2018 Zebrafish PI meeting (500 EUR)
2017 Travel Grant Gordon Research Conference (Cilia and Mucociliary Clearance) (600 EUR)
2017 EMBO Travel Grant in collaboration with Prof K Pekkan (Koc University, Turkey) (1000 EUR)
2012 F+ Postdoc Fellowship, KU Leuven (1 year postdoc salary)
2008 European Association of Cancer Research (EACR) travel award (500 EUR)
2006-09 International PhD studentship (DKFZ, 3 years PhD salary)
SUPERVISION OF STUDENTS AND RESEARCH FELLOWS
S Myren-Svelstad (since January 2017),
C Ringers (since August 2017-Boehringer Ingelheim Fond PhD fellowship),
P D’Gama (since March 2020)
A Jamali (since August 2018, NTNU research line fellowship)
M Ege (NTNU Neuroscience, 06/2020), J Premereur (KU Leuven, 07/2020), E Vonck (KU Leuven, 07/2020), S Vanderhaeghe (KU Leuven, 06/2019), J Vancraeynest (KU Leuven, 06/2019), EW Olstad (NTNU, 06/2018), T You (NTNU, 06/2018), A Wens (KU Leuven, 06/2018), C Ringers (NTNU, 06/2017), N Banono (NTNU, 06/2017), I Reiten (NTNU, 06/2016), C Brandt (Turku Uni, 2015)
A Konac (2019), J Hansen (2017), AB Bolat (2017), J Zuflacht (2010)
Since 2020 Introduction to neuroscience (co-organizer, 1 semester, NEVR 2010, 2030, NTNU), lectures on cell biology, synapse, development of the nervous system, auditory systems, autonomic nervous system
Since 2020 The cardiovascular system and its associated diseases (2h lecture, supervision of 3 students for assay writing, grading of 6 assays, MOL3100, NTNU)
Since 2016 Auditory system (2h, NEVR3002, NTNU)
2015-17 Zebrafish as a model organism (1h/year, Felasa course, NTNU)
2015 Zebrafish as a model organism for neurological disorders (1h, University of Oslo, MBV4340)
2014 Workshop on cloning and genome engineering (1h, VIB-NERF PhD school)
2014 The cell biology of neurodegenerative diseases with an emphasis on Alzheimer’s disease (9h, KULeuven, Medical students 2nd semester)
2014 Practical training for Bachelor students (10h, KULeuven, Bachelor students in biomedical sciences 6th semester)
2011-14 Hot Topic in Cell Biology (4h/year, KULeuven, Master students in biomedical sciences)
ORGANISATION OF SCIENTIFIC MEETINGS
2022 Co-organizer of Zebrafish Neural Circuit and Behavior (expected 250 participants, 2 organizers, role in finding sponsors, finance, scientific and social program, local infrastructure) – Norway
2021 Co-organizer EMBO Cilia 2020 Conference (expected 350 participants, 10 organizers, involved in scientific program and fund raising) – Germany
2018 Organizer of NTNU neuroscience symposium (70 participants, 2 organizers)
2013-14 Initiation and management of the departmental postdoctoral association of VIB center for the biology of disease
COMMISSIONS OF TRUST
- Reviewing: Journal of Biological Chemistry, Neurogenesis, Current Biology, Cell Reports, Nature Communication, Philosophical Transaction of the Royal Society B, Development
- Opponent at MSc and PhD defenses: Emilie Glesaaen (MSc candidate, NTNU, 06/2019), Ana Vankova (MSc candidate, NTNU, 06/2019), Dongkyun Lim (MSc candidate, NTNU, 06/2018), Anide Johansen (PhD candidate, University of Oslo, 05/19)
MEMBERSHIPS OF SCIENTIFIC SOCIETIES
Since 2016 Member Society for Neuroscience (SfN), European Chemoreception Research Organization (ECRO), EuFishBioMed, FENS, IZFS
Since 2017 Associate member of the Priority Programme “Microswimmers – From Single Particle Motion to Collective Behavior” of the German Research Foundation (DFG)
An updated publication list is available at https://scholar.google.no/citations?user=MGQIp3wAAAAJ&hl=en
- Yaksi E, Jamali A, Diaz Verdugo C, Jurisch-Yaksi N, Past,present and future of zebrafish in epilepsy research, FEBS journal, https://doi.org/10.1111/febs.15694
- Hansen JN, Rassmann S, Stüven B, Jurisch-Yaksi N*, Wachten D*, CiliaQ – a simple, open-source software for automated quantification of ciliary morphology and fluorescence in 2D, 3D, and 4D images bioRxiv 2020.09.28.317065; doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.09.28.317065, in press
- S Fore, F Acuña-Hinrichsen, K A Mutlu, EM Bartoszek, B Serneels, NG Faturos, KTP Chau, MI Cosacak, C Diaz Verdugo, F Palumbo, C Ringers, N Jurisch-Yaksi, C Kizil, E Yaksi, Functional properties of habenular neurons are determined by developmental stage and sequential neurogenesis, Science Advances 2020, Vol. 6, no. 36, eaaz3173 DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.aaz3173
- Hansen JN*, Kaiser F*, Klausen C, Chong R, Bönigk W, Mick DU, Möglich A, Jurisch-Yaksi N, Schmidt FI*, Wachten D*, Nanobody-directed targeting of optogenetic tools reveals differential regulation of cilia length, eLife 2020;9:e57907 DOI: 10.7554/eLife.57907
- O Thouvenin, L Keiser, Y Cantaut-Belarif, M Carbo Tano, F Verweij, N Jurisch-Yaksi, PL Bardet, G Van Niel , F Gallaire, C Wyart (2019) Origin of the bidirectionality of cerebrospinal fluid flow and impact on longrange transport between brain and spinal cord. eLife 2020;9:e47699 DOI: 10.7554/eLife.47699
- Ringers C*, Olstad EW*, Jurisch-Yaksi N. The role of motile cilia in the development and physiology of the nervous system. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2020 Feb 17;375(1792):20190156. doi: 10.1098/rstb.2019.0156. Epub 2019 Dec
- Diaz Verdugo C, Myren-Svelstad S, Aydin E, Van Hoeymissen E, Deneubourg C, Vanderhaeghe S, Vancraeynest J, Pelgrims R, Cosacak MI, Muto A, Kizil C, Kawakami K, Jurisch-Yaksi N*, Yaksi E*. Glia-neuron interactions underlie state transitions to generalized seizures. Nat Commun. 2019 Aug 23;10(1):3830. doi:10.1038/s41467-019-11739-z.
- Olstad EW*, Ringers C*, Hansen JN, Wens A, Brandt C, Wachten D, Yaksi E, Jurisch-Yaksi N. Ciliary Beating Compartmentalizes Cerebrospinal Fluid Flow in the Brain and Regulates Ventricular Development. Curr Biol. 2019 Jan 21;29(2):229-241.e6. doi: 10.1016/j.cub.2018.11.059.
- Jin YN*, Schlueter PJ*, Jurisch-Yaksi N, Lam PY, Jin S, Hwang WY, Yeh JJ, Yoshigi M, Ong SE, Schenone M, Hartigan CR, Carr SA, Peterson RT. Noncanonical translation via deadenylated 3′ UTRs maintains primordial germ cells. Nat Chem Biol. 2018 Sep;14(9):844-852. doi: 10.1038/s41589-018-0098-0.
- Reiten I, Uslu FE, Fore S, Pelgrims R, Ringers C, Diaz Verdugo C, Hoffman M, Lal P, Kawakami K, Pekkan K, Yaksi E, Jurisch-Yaksi N. Motile-Cilia-Mediated Flow Improves Sensitivity and Temporal Resolution of Olfactory Computations. Curr Biol. 2017 Jan 23;27(2):166-174. doi: 10.1016/j.cub.2016.11.036.
- Bugge S, Buene AF, Jurisch-Yaksi N, Moen IU, Skjønsfjell EM, Sundby E, Hoff BH. Extended structure-activity study of thienopyrimidine-based EGFR inhibitors with evaluation of drug-like properties. Eur J Med Chem. 2016 Jan 1;107:255-74. doi: 10.1016/j.ejmech.2015.11.012.
- Jurisch-Yaksi N, Annaert W. Protein quality control by Rer1p in the early secretory pathway: from mechanism to implication in Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimers Res Ther. 2013 Dec 5;5(6):61. doi: 10.1186/alzrt227. eCollection 2013.
- Jurisch-Yaksi N*, Sannerud R*, Annaert W. A fast growing spectrum of biological functions of γ-secretase in development and disease. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013 Dec;1828(12):2815-27. doi: 10.1016/j.bbamem.2013.04.016.
- Jurisch-Yaksi N*, Rose AJ*, Lu H, Raemaekers T, Munck S, Baatsen P, Baert V, Vermeire W, Scales SJ, Verleyen D, Vandepoel R, Tylzanowski P, Yaksi E, de Ravel T, Yost HJ, Froyen G, Arrington CB, Annaert W. Rer1p maintains ciliary length and signaling by regulating γ-secretase activity and Foxj1a levels. J Cell Biol. 2013 Mar 18;200(6):709-20. doi: 10.1083/jcb.201208175.
- Licht AH*, Nübel T*, Feldner A, Jurisch-Yaksi N, Marcello M, Demicheva E, Hu JH, Hartenstein B, Augustin HG, Hecker M, Angel P, Korff T, Schorpp-Kistner M. Junb regulates arterial contraction capacity, cellular contractility, and motility via its target Myl9 in mice. J Clin Invest. 2010 Jul;120(7):2307-18. doi: 10.1172/JCI41749.
- Baisamy L, Cavin S, Jurisch N, Diviani D, The ubiquitin-like protein LC3 regulates the Rho-GEF activity of AKAP-Lbc, J Biol Chem. 2009 Oct 9;284(41):28232-42.
- Baisamy L, Jurisch N, Diviani D. Leucine zipper-mediated homo-oligomerization regulates the Rho-GEF activity of AKAP-Lbc. J Biol Chem. 2005 Apr 15;280(15):15405-12. Epub 2005 Feb 3. PubMed PMID: 15691829.
Preprint currently in revision
- Hotz A, Jamali A, Rieser NN, Niklaus S, Aydin E, Myren-Svelstad S, Lalla L, Jurisch-Yaksi N#, Yaksi E#, Neuhauss SCF# (2021), Loss of glutamate transporter eaat2a leads to aberrant neuronal excitability, recurrent epileptic seizures and hypoactivity, bioRXiv, doi: 10.1101/2021.03.16.435577,
D’Gama, P.P., Qiu, T., Cosacak, M.I., Chong, Y.L., Konac, A., Hansen, J.N., Ringers, C., Hui, S.P., Olstad, E.W., Ng, C.P., et al. (2021). Diversity and Function of Motile Ciliated Cell Types within Ependymal Lineages of the Zebrafish Brain. bioRxiv, 2021.2002.2017.431442.
List of invited presentations
Invited speaker at conferences
- 07/2022, Invited speaker at Faseb cilia meeting, New Mexico, USA (postponed Covid-19)
- 04/2021, Chair/discussion leader at GRC motile cilia and mucociliary clearance, Les Diablerets, Switzerland
- 04/2021, Invited speaker at CSHL brain barrier meeting, CSHL, USA
- 09/2020, Invited speaker at Hydrocephalus meeting, Gothenburg, Sweden – postponed Covid19
- 09/2020, Invited speaker at brain H2O meeting, Copenhagen, Denmark – postponed Covid19
- 08/2020, Invited speaker at the Minerva and Wihuri Medical Foundations Symposium on Translational Insights into Organ-Specific Vasculature, Finland – online Covid19
- 04/2020, Keynote speaker at Swiss zebrafish meeting, Switzerland – postponed Covid19
- 11/2019, Keynote speaker at French-UK Annual Cilia Meeting, France
- 11/2019, Hydrocephalus Association Workshop, USA
- 10/2019, Fluid physics of Life, Dresden, Germany
- 07/2019, Company of Biologists Workshop on “New Frontiers in the Brain: Unexpected Roles of the Choroid Plexus-Cerebrospinal Fluid System in Health and Disease”, UK
- 03/2019, The Royal Society conference on “Unity and diversity of ciliary systems in locomotion and transport”, UK
- 01/2019, Heraeus Seminar on “Physics and Physiology of Motile Cilia”, Germany
- 09/2015: PhD symposium of the Norwegian Research School of Neuroscience: “Zebrafish as model system for neurological disorders” and “Career paths for neuroscience graduates”
Selected symposium at conferences
- 06/2019, Chair and speaker at International Zebrafish Conference, Suzhou, China: “The function of motile cilia and fluid flow during organ development and homeostasis”,
Selected abstracts for talks at conferences
- 11/2018, Zebrafish Neural Circuits and Behavior, CSHL, USA
- 02/2019, Gordon Research Seminar on cilia, mucus and mucociliary interaction, Il Ciocco, Italy
- 12/2018, Workshop on Zebrafish Neural Circuits and Behavior, Brighton, UK
- 10/2018, Cilia2018 conference, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 11/2017, Workshop on Zebrafish Neural Circuits and Behavior, Bethesda, USA
- 09/2017, Nordic zebrafish meeting, Uppsala, Sweden
- 09/2017, European Chemoreception Research Organization conference, Cambridge, UK
- 07/2017, Zebrafish 2017 conference, Budapest, Hungary
- 02/2017, Gordon Research Seminar on cilia, mucus and mucociliary interaction, Galveston, USA
- 12/2016, NTNU Neuroscience Christmas symposium, Trondheim, Norway:
- 11/2015: NTNU-Tohoku University conference, Japan
06/2019, University of Sheffield, UK; 11/2018, BBB seminar series, University of Bergen, Norway; 03/2018, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany; 09/2017, iBG-Izmir Biomedicine and Genome Center, Turkey; 07/2017, Hungarian Academy of Science, Budapest, Hungary; 05/2017, German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) Dresden, Germany; 01/2017, Koc University, Istanbul, Turkey; 10/2016, MPI-Caesar, Bonn, Germany; 04/2016, Turku center for biotechnology, Turku, Finland; 01/2014: Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey; 09/2014: PhD symposium of NERF/VIB, Belgium: “ workshop on cloning”; 11/2014: Genome-editing tools workshop at ULB, Gosselies, Belgium, “Study of gamma-secretase and its regulator Rer1p using Cas9/CrispR: gains and challenges”; 12/2013: Yeditepe University, Istanbul, Turkey; 09/2013: University of Sussex, Brighton, UK